Welcome to St. Paul Lutheran Church.
Saint Paul Lutheran congregation in Union, Missouri is a member congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. We are blessed with more than 680 baptized and 508 communicant members.
St. Paul Lutheran Church was founded on January 16, 1921, when a group of men met at the home of Edwin Hoemann to organize a Lutheran Congregation in Union. On March 17, 1921, a ground-breaking service was held for building the first church on Christina Street in Union, with the church dedication taking place on June 26, 1921. (Edwin Hoemann's home is pictured on left.) St. Paul was received as a voting member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, at the Western District Convention on June 28, 1928.
The first child baptized was Gertrude Leonora Mata Helling, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Orlando Helling, on March 9, 1921. The first baptism in the newly dedicated church was that of Neola Emilie Elizabeth Hoemann on July 3, 1921. Now Mrs. Emil Poertner, she remains a member of St. Paul.
Ground-breaking services for the remodeling and enlarging of the original church building were held on March 16, 1952. The building project was completed in November. The cost of the addition to the church and the painting of the parsonage amounted to $25,470. A new electronic organ was also purchased at this time at a cost of $2,185. Additional property was purchased at 208 W. Springfield Ave on February 1, 1960, as the building site for the present church. Ground breaking was held on November 10, 1963, with the completion of the new church on September 1, 1964. An education wing was added to the church in 1992. A new kitchen, board room, and additional education wing was completed in 2002.
Pastors & Churchworkers
St. Paul Lutheran Congregation has been served by faithful pastors and other Called workers throughout its history.
- Rev. Walter Hofius - August, 1921 through February, 1927
- Rev. H. H. Wilhelms - August, 1927 through April, 1932
- Rev. Alvin W. Maack - August, 1932 through January, 1958
- Rev. Edmund Lammert - April, 1958 through April, 1965
- Rev. Donald Werchan - January, 1966 through January, 1977
- Rev. Lawrence Zimmermann - May, 1977 through Nov., 1986
- Rev. Donald Fraker - July, 1987 through October, 1998
- Rev. Robert L. Kriete - July, 1999 to the present
- Rev. Mathew A. Hayter - August, 2010 to the present
Directors of Christian Education
- Mr. Timothy Roggow - 1996 to 2000
- Mr. Jason Glaskey - July, 2001 to 2009